Saturday 17 January 2009

Language contamination

This morning my students asked me to watch an episode of Friends, obviously in Italian, just to make more bearable this unusual lesson on Saturday.

I did start the movie but I hadn't change the language, so it was actually in English. I didn't realize it until my students told me: "e' in inglese!".

It's the second time that happens. I wonder if my ears are getting used to listening English rather than Italian. But it sounded so much more natural. I also sometimes have trouble writing in Italian, as I construct sentences in an English way which sounds correct at first and weird a few instants later.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that my English is perfect: I am just a "victim" of a language contamination and am worried that I may not be able to speak properly any of those languages.... as somebody pointed out...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chi ti dice questo parla solo una lingua? e poi a che livello? Io, come il 90% degli italiani parlo una forma dialettale della mia lingua, sono in grado di giudicare se una persona parla correttamente la mia lingua? Forse, ma come posso giudicare se non uso correttamente i tempi dei verbi o i termini italiani? Chi ti giudica forse dovrebbe prima accendere il cervello....Bacioni